top of page
  • Writer's pictureBSE

Understanding Addition and Alteration (A&A) Projects

Updated: Mar 11, 2019

Ever wondered whether changes to your property require approval from the Building and Construction Authority (BCA), Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) or Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA)? These may fall under Addition and Alteration (A&A Works and are closely linked to the fire protection and prevention systems of a building. So, here’s what you need to know about them:

Why choose BSE?

We are happy to share that, as of 11 December 2018, BSE has been awarded the BCA Contractor Status that is specifically for Fire Prevention and Protection Systems (ME06). This vouches for the high safety standards and service excellence we provide. Therefore, you can trust us to bring you the best products and deliver the best services, including tailoring A&A projects for you, so as to achieve Total Fire Safety for All.

How can BSE help?

  • Consultancy

  • Project Management

  • Design

  • Installation

  • Testing and Commissioning

What are A&A Works?

Minor works done on the existing structure, systems and equipment within the existing building requirements

Usual scenarios:

  • Change in the use of premises

  • Renovation that needs to meet compliance

  • Upgrading of systems and equipment

  • Any form of modification, addition or deletion of existing systems and equipment that is different from the building AS-Built design.

According to SCDF, minor A&A to fire safety works refers to the erection or deletion of internal partitions (including alteration to fire protection system). Subdivision of space into different tenanted areas shall not be lodged under this scheme. The erection of internal partitions should only involve materials stipulated in Table 3.13B of Fire Code.

What are the requirements?

  • Works that do not affect the fire resistance of element of construction and the fire compartment

  • Works that do not affect means of escape

  • Works that do not affect the wet/ dry riser/ landing/ hose reel systems

  • Works that do not involve change of usage

  • Works that do not involve increase of floor area

  • Works that do not involve raise floor system

  • Works that do not involve conservation project

  • Any other works which would not contravene the Act and the Regulations

What is the submission procedure?

Electronic Submission

  • Within 21 days upon completion of the minor A&A works, the Qualified Person shall lodge the plan with SCDF through CORENET e-submission. The lodgement fee for each submission is $90.

The lodgement scheme is only applicable to a shop or an office for which a Temporary Fire Permit (TFP) or a Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) has already been obtained.

The plans can be lodged by the following types of QPs:

  • Registered architect; or

  • Professional Engineer (Civil); or

  • Professional Engineer (Structure); or

  • Professional Engineer (Mechanical); or

  • Professional Engineer (Electrical).

Plans need to comprise the following:

  • Site plan/location plan

  • Whole floor plan in detail - indicating clearly the exits/exit staircases available and the type of fire protection system for the building

  • Detailed layout plan of the A&A indicating:

  • The usage of all rooms/areas/compartments

  • The contents of store(s)

  • The existing fire doors with rating

  • The layout of sprinklers/detectors

  • Sectional plan of the proposed works

  • Details of partitions, including the type of construction/materials used

  • QP’s endorsement on the right hand side of the plan

What is the submission procedure for URA and BCA?

If you are making A&A changes to a conserved building or a building within a conservation area, you may need approvals from both URA and BCA.

Electronic Submission

  • Your QP should submit your application to URA through CORENET

  • You can expect a decision within 20 working days

Do note that:

  • If the Conservation Permission is issued, your QP should submit plans to BCA to obtain Building Plan clearance and Building Plan approval for the permit to begin works

  • Site inspections may be carried out by URA when necessary

  • Inform URA when the works are completed to obtain the Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP)/Certificate of Statutory Completion (CSC) Clearance

  • Submit an application to request for TOP/CSC site inspection of the conserved buildings electronically through CORENET

Disclaimer: All facts and opinions presented are for educational purposes only. Please consult our competent professional for expert technical or other assistance and advice.



Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page